Beth Waldron, Clot Connect program director writes…
Background: Blood thinners (anticoagulants such warfarin, Xarelto, Pradaxa, Eliquis, enoxaparin) and anti-platelet drugs (aspirin, Plavix) increase bleeding risk. Patients taking these drugs are typically advised to avoid activities which might cause increased bleeding, bruising or trauma.
Acupuncture involves the insertion of thin needles through the skin at strategic points along the body. These needles are very thin, much smaller than the hypodermic needles used for phlebotomy (blood draws) and injections.(Ref 1) Because the needles used are so small, very little bleeding occurs with acupuncture. (2)
- A 2014 published study on the safety of acupuncture for patients taking blood thinners found no reports of major bleeding.(3) Minor ‘microbleeding’—defined as bleeding which stopped within 30 seconds—occurred in only slightly more patients taking an anticoagulant (4.8%) than patients not on an anticoagulant (3.0%). Patients taking an anti-platelet medication had very little bleeding (0.9%).
- There was also no significant difference in the amount of bruising which occurred from acupuncture between those taking an anticoagulant (2.0%) or an anti-platelet (1.6%) and those who took neither (1.3%).
- An earlier study of acupuncture among hospitalized patients taking warfarin, also found very little bleeding and that a higher INR value did not predict a higher risk of bleeding–bleeding incidence after acupuncture were no different among patients with a low INR (14.6%) and those with a high INR (14.3%). (4)
Summary: Acupuncture appears to be safe for the patient on a blood thinner. However as a precaution, inform your acupuncture provider in advance of the procedure that you are on a blood thinner so they can be alert and prepared.
1. UpToDate http://www.uptodate.com/contents/acupuncture
2. “A Guide to Integrative Oncology” University of Washington http://depts.washington.edu/integonc/patients/spc/acupuncture.shtml
3. Kim et al. The safety of acupuncture treatments for patients taking warfarin or antiplatelet medications: A retrospective chart review study European Journal of Integrative Medicine, May 17, 2014. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876382014000626
4. Miller et al. Acupuncture treatment for hospitalized patients on anticoagulant therapy—a safety study BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2012 (Suppl 1) p 107